What is SECR? 

The Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) Policy was implemented at the beginning of April this year.  

The introduction of SECR coincides with the end of the Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) Energy Efficiency Scheme. SECR has increased the estimated number of companies required to comply with energy reporting to 11,900, far more than for CRC.  

SECR does not replace other existing requirements such as: GHG reporting, ESOS, CCA Scheme, and ETS. By requiring more companies to engage with carbon reporting, SECR is intended to encourage more implementation of energy efficiency measuresRequiring companies to make disclosures on energy and carbon is also in line with the recommendations of the G20 Financial Stability Board’s Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosures, by providing important information for investors and financial actors to help them navigate the transition to a sustainable, low carbon economy. 

Do you need to comply? 

If your company falls within the following definitions you are required to comply: 

  1. Quoted companies of any size that are already obliged to report under mandatory greenhouse gas reporting regulations. 
  1. Unquoted companies incorporated in the UK that meet the definition of ‘large’ under the Companies Act 2006 will have new reporting obligations. This applies to registered and unregistered companies. Note that the criteria for ‘large’ differs from the ESOS Regulations.  
  1. ‘Large’ Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs) will be required to prepare and file a ‘Energy and Carbon Report’. 

Unquoted companies or LLPs are defined as ‘large’ if they meet at least two of the following three criteria in a reporting year: 

  • a turnover of £36million or more; 
  • a balance sheet of £18million or more; or 
  • 250 employees or more. 

Private sector organisations which fall outside of the scope of the new regulations are encouraged to voluntarily report in a similar manner. 

Contact us 

Contact us if you think you meet the criteria for mandatory reporting, or if you plan on reporting voluntarily. 

We can help you: 

  • Establish if any exemptions apply to your company 
  • Establish what you need to report 
  • Collate and submit the required information 

Contact us using the “get in touch” form on the menu bar at the top of the website. Alternatively, contact us by email or phone: 

Phone:01904 466482