David Hirst is the founder and Managing Director of Ainsty Risk. He has over 16 years experience in corporate risk management with European energy companies, and in depth experience of advising and managing on commodity and strategic risks. This includes developing and implementing hedging policies for retail energy and generation and other commodity portfolios, providing credit risk management advice, and delivering investment risk analysis of energy and commodity related acquisitions and disposals.
SUMMARY of CAPABILITIES
- Delivering regulatory change impact assessments: REMIT, EMIR, MiFiD2 for European energy companies
- Trading strategy, risk management and collateral exposure,
- Providing commodity trading & risk expertise for Big 4 consultancies
- EU CTRM vendor selection and market analysis
- Energy procurement analysis & policy development for global financial services organisation.
- Quantification of commodity risk, investment analysis and advisory services.
- Energy & Soft commodities hedging & valuation (inc sugar, coffee, biofuels etc.)
- Credit Risk Management benchmarking for big six B-2-B energy supplier.
- Energy resilience review assessment & recommendation for major offshore financial centre
- Delivering Market, Operational & Strategic risk training consultancy in; UK, EU Asia, & Africa
- Commodity and Credit Risk for Indpendant Power Plant
- Acquisition and disposal of Energy Retailer,
- Developing biomass supply chain,
- Providing disaster recovery and scenario planning,
- Head of Strategic & Operational Risk – Head of Market Risk RWE npower (2004–2008) – Developed systematic enterprise wide risk reporting, business continuity policy implementation, capital schemes appraisal
- Integrated the credit assessment of large I&C customers into RWE group processes, developed energy purchasing strategy.
QUALIFICATIONS and PUBLICATIONS
- UNESCO World Federation of Engineering Organisation Energy Standing Committee
- ICE Steering Group – “Defending Critical Infrastructure”, Grenfell Lessons learned, Northern Powerhouse Infrastructure
- Chair ICE Management Panel & Risk Expert Group.
- Editor of “Energy”; Proceedings of the ICE 2006-09.
- Chartered Engineer & Fellow Institution of Civil Engineers
- Eur Ing Fédération Européenne d’Associations Nationales d’Ingénieurs